Friday, July 25, 2014

It's Called the Metric System



Riding a hundred miles isn't something you just jump into.  I have always known that I would need to steadily increase the distance of my rides.  Along the way I would hit a handful of milestones.  The first on my list was The Half Century. I reached that a few weeks back on my trip around Blue Marsh Lake.  In a few weeks from now, I will try to ride 100 miles in two days.  Today however is about the Metric Century…or what we like to call in America:  62.1 miles

I actually planned to hit at least 63.  I’ve learned that I much rather ride a little extra than get close to home and be a little short.  Zig-zagging the neighborhood after a long ride knowing you can stop at anytime is not fun. This ride would push me about ten percent further than my previous rides.  I was looking forward to the challenge all week and I was pretty excited to cross the Metric Century off of my to-do list.

I started the morning off with a new breakfast routine, two bagels with cream cheese.  I had been feeling a little empty on some recent rides and thought this would definitely fill me up and add the extra carbs I needed for a long trip.  Could just be coincidence, but I felt better during this first half than any of my previous distance rides.  Needless to say, my First Century Breakfast has now been determined.

Before I hit the road, I made sure my tires were pumped full of air and my GPS was fully charged.

I put my contacts in so I could sport my new cycling shades….and now I probably need to go back and update one of my earlier blogs. 



I made sure I had a few snacks and plenty of fluids before I set out. I typically like to take a banana, a few cookies and a granola bar.  I also freeze a Gatorade which I throw in the back pocket of my shirt for later.

I almost forgot to apply some sunscreen for the second week in a row.  Fortunately, my three year old daughter was kind enough to remind me moments before I hit the road.

I started my ride with one of my shorter loops just to log some miles and make sure everything was working properly before I strayed too far from home.  I made my first stop after about 15 miles.  A little earlier than I wanted, but I was heading into no man’s land and I wouldn’t see another store for the next 20 miles.  I topped off my water and ate a banana.  Five minutes later, I was back on the road. 

Before my next stop, I hit the Bob Rodale Cycling and Fitness Park.  I love this little place.  I wish the track was a bit longer.  It is a smidge over one mile but has a couple of nice up and downs.  As long as everyone stays in their designated lane, it’s a great place to add a few miles to your route.  I put in 6 laps and was on my way.



Right up the road I stopped for lunch at Joe’s Pizza.  I was in and out in under ten minutes.  I had a quick slice that was delicious and completely guilt free.  Even better, Joe’s is stocked with sports drinks.  After getting refueled, I was ready to tackle the second half of my ride.

Six dollar lunch

With about 18 miles to go, I made my final stop.  Three minutes to grab another bottle of water and finish off my Gatorade.  I was now back in familiar territory and feeling great.  Nothing was chaffing and my backside wasn’t really sore.  Riding with the wind at my back didn’t hurt either.

Other than my three scheduled stops, I did pull over to take a picture of this guy and his massive horns.



Finally, I finished my first metric century and even tacked on a couple extra miles for good measure.




Not only did I feel great through most of the ride, I had no issues that night or even the next day.  I’m not quite at the speed I was hoping for but this pace will still let me finish my First Century in less than seven hours.  And if there’s one thing I’ve heard over and over again about your first century:  It’s a ride, not a race.  I’ll be happy just to finish My First Century and I will worry about the speed next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment