Sunday, July 6, 2014

What Primo Said



"And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once."  ~~ Primo Levi
  
I have this strange sense of purpose which I haven’t experienced in quite a long time.  I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this is that I haven’t challenged myself lately.  Don’t get me wrong, I have two children, 3 and 5.  I am challenged on a daily basis.  But aren’t most of us?  What I am talking about is a “grand” challenge.

For me, my last “grand” challenge was probably putting myself through college at the age of 30.   I was taking classes year round.  I was also working full time.  I threw an internship on top of everything my final semester because isn’t sleep just a luxury?  After graduating with not one, but two degrees, I was fortunate to find a job.  I’m not sure if I can say I found myself, but I felt measured and I felt strong. 

There have been other challenges in my life both big and small.  I have succeeded in some and failed at others.  When it comes to a challenge of a physical nature, I can’t recall having one like this since high school cross country.  Sure, I’ve gotten into workout routines.  I joined a few gyms.  I even won a weight loss wager here and there.   But not since high school did I take a physical activity this seriously. 


It was my junior year and I tragically lost two friends, one of which ran cross country.  Let me clarify.  Tim didn’t just run cross country, he was Mr. Cross Country.  He led the team to a state title as a sophomore and he was looking at a full ride to the college of his choice.  I remember sitting around his kitchen table the day after the accident.  His father was being strong, when so many of us could not.  In what was probably the most profound rhetorical question ever posed to me, he said:  This house was never perfect.  We had our fights and disagreements.  There were times when Tim would get angry and frustrated, and do you know what he would do...He would run.  


A few months later, triggered by my own moment of anger and frustration those words came back to me; I took to the road and never looked back.  Over the next few months, I ran nearly 500 miles.  I was easily in the best shape of my life.  I was voted Co-Captain by my Cross Country team.   I was finding myself.  I felt strong and I was ready to be measured.  And then the unthinkable happened. On the first mile of the first meet of the season, I stepped on a rock and broke my foot.  Just like that, I was done.  With tears streaming down my face, I kept going.  I wasn’t really running anymore, it was more of a cross between half limp and half skip.  The tears were not from the pain.  I knew that it was over.  The race, the season, everything I worked so hard for.  I had to be physically stopped.  Ironically it was my Tim’s older brother who had come to support the team.  I crumpled to the ground, devastated, broken.

I tried to get it going again once the cast came off.  But I was overwhelmed from looking at the twig that once held my missing calf muscle.   I was emotionally and physically drained.  I relaxed through the rest of my senior year and I relaxed through the next 3 and a half years of college (hence the reason I went back at the age of 30).

I think I’m done relaxing.  I’m anxious to find out what’s still left in the tank, both physically and mentally.  I also want to be an example to my children.  I know Levi wasn’t talking about cycling.  He was talking about man’s ability to overcome adversity, on your own, “nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head”.  I want my children to know that it’s never too late. Whether it’s in their education, career, or life in general, they need to continue to challenge themselves.  I want them to put themselves in situations where they can be measured and hopefully rise to the challenge.  But when they fail, when they become angry and frustrated, I hope they will continue to look for new opportunities to be measured.  It’s only then that they will truly find themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment